Camp Mystic head nurse Mary Liz Eastland has had her nursing license suspended after admitting she abandoned children during the devastating Texas flood that killed 25 girls at the summer camp.
The Texas Board of Nursing ruled last week that Eastland, who served as chief health officer at the elite Camp Mystic—long associated with wealthy families—poses a “continuing and imminent threat to the public welfare,” according to an order obtained by Houston Public Media.

Mary Liz Eastland exits a congressional hearing after giving testimony about the July 4 disaster at Camp Mystic.

A children’s cabin at the Texas camp is left in ruins, with destroyed furniture and scattered belongings marking the aftermath.

Eastland has been accused of abandoning her duties by leaving children behind as floodwaters from the Guadalupe River in Kerr County surged into the camp on July 4, killing 28 people in total — including 25 children, two teenage counselors, and camp director Dick Eastland, her father-in-law.
Dozens of children were reportedly trapped in cabins or swept away by the powerful current during the disaster.
Her suspension followed one month after she answered “yes” in court when asked whether she abandoned campers who needed her help.

The nursing board also alleged that Eastland failed to properly perform her duties, including not having adequate emergency plans and protocols in place.
In addition, it said she did not report the 27 deaths to state health authorities within the required 24-hour window — a move it described as intentionally “deceptive” and aimed at avoiding accountability.
Eastland could permanently lose her nursing license, pending a final hearing.
“This is a sad day for Mrs. Eastland as well as every licensed nurse in Texas,” Camp Mystic said in a statement, according to People magazine.
The camp’s attorney, Joshua Fiveson, told NBC that “Eastland rejects the findings and will fight the suspension.”



Eastland testifies before Congress regarding the Camp Mystic flooding disaster.
Eastland and her family, who own and operate the camp, were also questioned by a judge in April after attempting to reopen the facility for the summer season.
Wrongful death lawsuits have since been filed against the camp by families of the victims, including 8-year-old Cecilia “Cile” Steward.
Camp director Edward Eastland broke down in tears during testimony, saying he still does not know what happened to the missing camper Cile.
Under questioning from family attorney Brad Beckworth, Eastland acknowledged that basic safety measures were not followed, including failing to use the camp’s loudspeaker system to order an evacuation and not holding advance meetings with staff to prepare for the approaching storm.