At least 15 people lost their lives and 18 others were injured on Wednesday after a tragic accident involving the iconic funicular railway in Lisbon, Portugal.
Disturbing footage from the scene shows the Gloria funicular — a tram-like railway — mangled and destroyed following the derailment, with officials confirming that at least five of the injured are in critical condition.
Authorities have yet to determine how many of the victims are foreign nationals, as the funicular is a well-known tourist hotspot.

Tourists and locals queue to board a funicular cabin in Lisbon on September 25, 2023.
“Lisbon is in mourning. This was a tragic accident … a tragedy unlike anything we’ve ever experienced,” said Mayor Carlos Moedas.
Emergency crews were seen recovering bodies from the wreckage of the yellow-and-white electric streetcar, which lay toppled on its side.
“Lisbon is grieving. This was a devastating accident … a tragedy unlike anything we’ve faced before,” said Mayor Carlos Moedas.
Rescue teams were spotted pulling bodies from the mangled remains of the yellow-and-white electric streetcar, which had overturned onto its side.

Five more of the injured in the deadly crash remain in critical condition.

Higher quality footage of the derailment of Lisbon's iconic Gloria Funicular, also known as the Elevador Da Glória. https://t.co/xcUYeVX5cf pic.twitter.com/ykUEubs7Vf
— AZ Intel (@AZ_Intel_) September 3, 2025
The publicly owned Gloria Funicular, which opened in 1885 and was electrified three decades later, is one of Lisbon’s most iconic landmarks.
Carris, the company that operates the tram, confirmed that all scheduled maintenance had been properly carried out.

First responders work at the crash site in Lisbon, September 3, 2025.