When some people get advice from people who are over 60 years old, they think that they are going to hear some good advice, since these people have so many years of life experience. Other people believe that advice from people over 60 is honest, but won’t pertain to life today. Many people, even some people’s parents, lived in a different world than the world that we are living in today. You have to wonder if it is possible to get advice from people over 60 that will still hold true today.
There was a question posted not long ago on Reddit, asking people 60 and older to give the site’s visitors who were half their age, some advice and tips on life. There was also a writing titled, The 5 Regrets of the Dying, and a report on a Harvard study about what it took for people to be happy in this world, Most of them were simple, and many are covered in the list below.
It is important to understand that while you shouldn’t listen to a person’s advice as if it were gospel, you should listen. You could hear something that applies to the person you are and the journey that you are on for yourself. Everyone is unique and they are always evolving. It is quite possible that one day during your life that advice from someone over 60 will apply to you and actually be helpful.
If you align your life with your greatest mission, it can lead to a great deal of joy in your life. It is important to try to avoid getting lost in the illusion that life will not be challenging. Even though things can be challenging, the challenges are what helps you to learn and grow. You should do everything that you can to make contributions to the world. When you figure it out, taking certain pieces of advice from someone with a great deal of life experience can help.
1. The most important person in your life is the one who has agreed to share their life with you. After you realize this, you should treat them like the most important person.
2. You may live a long life or a short one, you never know. Either way, you are going to wish that you took care of yourself in your youth so that you have a better chance of living a long life.
3. Things are just things. Rather than holding onto useless material objects, you should hold on to the time that you have and the things that you have experienced.
4. Jealousy will destroy a relationship. You should trust your significant other. If you cannot trust them, who are you supposed to trust?
5. People always say, “Find a job that you love doing, and you never work a day in your life.” This is wrong. You should find a job that pays the bills, that you love some day, and tolerate the rest. It is unrealistic to expect to find a job that you love to go to every day.
6. If life is starting to be too overwhelming, you should slow down and take in the beauty that is around you. Breathe deep and relax. You should have a better perspective after.
7. Years pass by before you know it. Don’t get married young. Live your life, travel, and do things. If you can’t afford it, pack a bag and go anywhere that you can afford to go. While you have no children, spend your money on travel rather than material things.
8. Try not to take life too seriously. If things seem hopeless and you feel lost, look at the situation and laugh at how ridiculous it is.
9. A true friend will run to you if you need them 24/7. Anyone who won’t is just an acquaintance.
10. Children grow up too fast. Treasure every moment that you have with them when they are young. It will be over before you know it.
11. Nobody has ever been on their death bed wishing that they had worked more. You can work hard, but don’t put it before friends, family, or yourself.
12. Eat and exercise as if you were just diagnosed with diabetes, heart disease, and are predisposed to having a stroke. It is the best way to be sure that none of these things will happen.
13. Brush and floss your teeth regularly. Dental problems can be horrible.
14. Don’t take another person’s advice too much to heart. You can listen to what they say, and apply it to your situation and make your own decision.
15. The joints that you damage today will hurt even more later. You may think that you have recovered, however, you haven’t.
16. You only have one chance on this Earth. You don’t want to wake up when you are 60 years old counting all of the dreams that you have never chased.
17. Appreciate the small things in life. Most people are looking for instant gratification, and don’t enjoy the small things in life. You only have so much time in this world. Enjoy the small things and work harder to achieve the big things.
18. Pay all your bills and avoid debt. When you get older, the amount of money that you spent on interest payments could allow you to retire twice over.
19. If you have a dream that seems impossible, try it anyway. It will only be harder when you get older and are responsible for taking care of other people.
20. When you first meet someone, stop, and realize that you don’t know anything about them. Their clothes, race, gender, and age can make you biased.
When you stop making these assumptions, you are limiting the people who will be in your life.